Rappers Travis Scott and Drake have been sued for “inciting mayhem” after eight people were murdered and others were injured in a crush at a Texas event, according to a law firm on Sunday.
On Sunday, Texas legal firm Thomas J. Henry Law tweeted a Daily Mail item on the claim, stating it had filed “one of the first lawsuits in Travis Scott Astroworld Festival disaster.”
Kristian Paredes, a 23-year-old concertgoer, is the plaintiff. He was one of those “severely hurt” at the concert on November 5.
Around 50,000 people were in the audience at Houston’s NRG Park when the fans began rushing toward the stage as Scott was playing, resulting in chaotic scenes.
According to the complaint, Texas resident Paredes, who is also suing concert producers Live Nation and the venue, “felt an immediate push” at the front of the general admission area as Travis Scott took the stage.
“The crowd became chaotic and a stampede began,” it went on.
“Many begged security guards hired by Live Nation Entertainment for help, but were ignored.”
The lawsuit, filed in Harris County court in Houston, claims Scott “had incited mayhem and turmoil at previous gatherings” and that “defendants knew or should have known of (Scott’s) prior conduct.”
The claim also accuses Drake, a Canadian rap artist who joined Scott’s headline act, of contributing to the rush toward the stage.
“As Drake came onstage alongside of Travis Scott he helped incite the crowd even though he knew of Travis Scott’s prior conduct,” the complaint charges.
He kept performing even as the “crowd became out of control” and the “crowd mayhem continued,” according to the report.
Scott, who founded the Astroworld music festival in 2018, is said to have stopped his performance many times when he noticed people in distress near the stage.
Houston Police Chief Troy Finner told reporters on Saturday that authorities in Texas have launched a criminal investigation into the tragedy, involving both murder and narcotics detectives.
Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner stated that officials were reviewing camera evidence and speaking with witnesses, concert organizers, and those who had been hospitalized.
On Saturday, he told reporters that the eight victims slain ranged in age from 14 to 27, with one person’s age unknown.
In addition, 25 individuals were sent to the hospital as a result of the mayhem, and more than 300 people were injured.