Manchester United ended their 2021 on a winning note following their 3-1 win over Burnley at Old Trafford on Thursday night.
First-half goals from Scot McTominnay as well as an own goal from Ben Mee coupled with Ronaldo’s tap in reduced Aaron Lennon’s strike to just a consolation.
United began on the front foot as Ronaldo was sent racing to a long ball by Luke Shaw but the striker sent his efforts to the sky.
McTominnay opened the scoring inside ten minutes with a delightful low strip from the age of the box.
Jadon Sancho thought he had added the second only to be called an own goal after his effort was redirected by Ben into his own net.
McTominnay again unleashed another superb strike at a similar position but was saved by the goalkeeper who parried it into the crossbar and onto the path of Ronaldo who tapped in for United’s third.
Aaron Lennon pulled one back as he took over a loose ball by Eric Bailly and dried it past David Da Gea.
- The opening goal in the ninth minute by Mc Tomminay is the first time they have scored inside 29 minutes at Old Trafford this season.
- The strike by McTominnay was his first in 30 games as he scored his first since February.
- Burnley has scored six headed goals so far this season but United are yet to register a single goal from set piece.
- Aaron Lennon scores his first ever goal from Old Trafford as it too just 2 minutes and 29 seconds that separated United’s third goal Burnley’s only goal.
- United’s opponents Burnley have not won a premier league away match after conceding first, stretching to 23.
- Manchester United have not lost a match after leading at the break, they have played, 300 games and counting
- Ben Mee’s own goal meant that he has scored five own goals in five years.
- The Clarets have scored just 15 goals in 15 appearances as they equal one goal a point.
United have ended 2021 on a high, winning their last game of the season.